Everything you need for a safe yet epic trek
By the Get Leashed Goods Team
Spring is here at last, and we don’t know about you, but we’re ready to hit the hills. For many people, hiking is a great way to stay fit and enjoy nature. But for dog owners, it’s also a great way to spend some quality time outside with your pup while squeezing in a great, bun-busting workout. Check out our list of trail-trekking must-haves for you and your pup.
1. Though you may be heading in and out of signal zones, it’s always smart to bring a fully-charged mobile device and be prepared in case of emergency. We love the slick design, reliability, and fantastic photo quality of the iPhone 5s. Buy it now.
2. Whether you’re a casual hiker or a serious climber, you need to make your feet a priority. We like lightweight shoes with serious treads like these options for both guys and gals. Keen Targhee II Hiking Shoe $119.95. Buy it now.
3. And for Ladies … New Balance 320 Lightweight Trail Running Shoe – Womens, $64.95. Buy it now.
4. When hiking we suggest you leave your retractable leash at home and opt for a Nylon option instead. We love this strong and durable Nylon Hands-Free Leash from Max & Zoey $29.99. If you’re considering hiking leash-free, please be sure to be cautious and always familiarize yourself with the possible hazards of your trail. Buy it now.
5. On hikes, backpacks are a must. Remember to fill your dog’s pack with some kibble, extra water and some of his favorite treats. Here are our picks for best packs for you and your pooch. RuffWear Approach Pack, Full-Day Hiking BackPack for Dogs, $79.99. Buy it Now.
6. Pack your own sack with plenty of water, protein-rich snacks like trail mix, kale chips or turkey jerky. Marc by Marc Jacobs, Pin It To Win It Backpack, $298.00 Buy it now.
7. Water is CRITICAL, so pack lots. We love Evian’s 1.5L eco-design bottle — lighter in plastic, easier to crush, and still 100% recyclable. Pair it with this lightweight Filson, Tin Cloth Dog Bowl $38.00 to make it super easy for your dog to hydrate on the move. Buy it now.
8. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst with this clever and compact Survive Outdoors Longer® Survival Medic, $15.00. Inside the ultralight waterproof pouch is an emergency blanket, sparker, tinder pack, whistle, duct tape, and button compass, as well as antiseptic wipes, gauze, and bandages in case of any accidents. Buy it now.
9. Give yourself a boost with this electrolyte-rich Nuun Tablets, $22.00. Try Tri-berry to give your water a great flavor spike. Buy it now.
10. Just because it’s a hike, doesn’t make you can’t add a touch of your personal style to your attire. We think this CURRENT/ELLIOT Hooded cotton-fleece sweatshirt ($180.00) is the perfect pull-over for your up-hill adventure. Buy it now.
11. We love the sunshine! But a little sun can do a lot of damage if you’re not protected. Always carry your favorite sunscreen like CLARINS Sunscreen Cream High Protection SPF, $37.00. It’s creamy and supple without being greasy. Buy it now.