Get Leashed’s must-haves for hitting the beach this summer
By Danielle Goreski
After a long winter and unpredictable weather, the dog days of summer are finally here! Grab your flip-flops and take a stroll on the boardwalk with your fur baby in tow. It’s time to shed those layers and put your toes in the sand, hit the beach, and take in those golden rays.
1. It’s time to take those puppies out for this bikini top comes packed with loads of support and is perfect for smaller-busted gals to add size without the bulk! Underwire and side boning add shape and support, while a thick adjustable tie at the back and removable neck strap makes sure the girls stay in place. This bikini bottom has cheeky rear coverage and a ruched seam for more lift and definition. The best part? It’s completely reversible! Maaji Swimwear, Sunset Sentinels Bandeau Bikini Top, $68. Buy it now!
2. Maaji Swimwear, Sunset Sentinels Cheeky Bikini Bottom, $62. Buy it now!
3. Messy beach waves a bit much? Tame those tresses with a stylish turban. Maaji Swimwear, Black Beach Turban, $12. Buy it now!
4. If you’re ready to graduate from plastic to leather, this is your first stop. A fashionably affordable flip-flop that takes you from ripped jean shorts to a silk knit jersey maxi, these flip flops are available in ‘Bronzer’ and ‘Fairydust’. Tkees, ‘Highlighter’ Flip Flop, $49.95. Buy it now!
5. Feeling shy? Slip one of these over a bikini and it’s unlikely you’ll be stripping down any time soon. These gorgeous luxe cover-ups are perfect for a pool party or a yacht. Do I hear St. Barth’s calling? Zimmermann, Good Love Crocheted Lace Cover-up, $1995. Buy it now!
6. These ultra lux trunks also come equipped with a waterproof wallet so you’ll never get caught drying out money after a swim in the ocean or pool. Vilebrequin, Embroidered Urchins, $650. Buy it now!
7. Forget the ball and kick it up in the sand! This iconic flip flop for men comes in a variety of colors and is adorned with the Brazil flag. Whether you’re a fan of soccer or not, Havaiana flip flops scream comfort and will have you enjoying long walks on the beach or going city-style after a long day in the sun. Havianan’s, Men’s ‘Brazil’ Flip-Flop, $26. Buy it now!
8. If this luxury eyewear couture is good enough for Hollywood royalty like Madonna, Cher, Brad Pitt and Sir Elton John, you’ll definitely rock the beach in true celebrity style with the ultimate jewelry for your face. Loree Rodkin, Lindsey Sunglasses, $619. Buy it now!
9. Channel your inner James Franco! Gucci, Bamboo Aviator Sunglasses, $620. Buy it now!
10. Trend alert! We love monogrammed jewelry and this aqua-colored bead bracelet is the perfect addition to your wrist candy! Periwinkle, Engraved Aqua Sophia Bracelet, $78. Buy it now!
11. Turkish delight! Woven in the fine tradition, this version combines smooth cotton on one side with looped cotton terry on the other for added wicking. Generously-sized and weighing only 425 grams, it won’t weigh down your tote and this towel gets loftier and more divine with each wash. Fouta Beach Towel, $65.50. Buy it now!
12. Keep Fido busy for hours with bacon-scented bubbles while you soak up the sun. Forget the Frisbee and the fetch sticks, this machine promises to keep your furry little friend busy for hours. Bubbletastic bacon bubbles are 100% non-toxic and tear-free and safe for dogs and kids. Bubbletastic, Bubbletastic Dog Bubble Machine, $19.95, Bubbletastic, Bubbletastic Bacon Dog Bubbles, $6.95. Buy it now!
13. Life’s a picnic! There’s no reason for Fido to go hungry with Barkem’s. Think Lunchables for dogs; this product provides a delicious (and nutritious) serving of premium dog food, a bowl of water and a dog biscuit for dessert in a recyclable package. Perfect for travel! BarkEm’s, BarkEm’s Portable Pet Meals, $3.95-$5.95. Buy it now!
14. Chill out! Made by Kyjen’s Outward Hound line which specializes in outdoor accessories for active pups, this cooling bandana offers relief to your dog. Made with non-toxic polymer crystals, the bandana absorbs water and can cool your dog up to several hours. All you need to do is soak the bandana for 15 to 30 minutes in cool water, then place around your dog’s neck. The bandana is reusable and hand washable, and comes in a variety of sizes. Outward Hound, Cool-It Bandana, starting at $3.99. Buy it now!
15. Is Fido sporting a fancy summer cut? Make sure you protect sun-sensitive areas like ears, nose, belly and groin area with a FDA-approved, broad-spectrum sunscreen for dogs like Epi-Pet Sun Protector. Waterproof, quick dry and the equivalent to 30-40 SPF in human sunscreens, this product will take you in and out of the water on hot summer days. NOTE: Hold off on your feline friend! Two of the ingredients commonly used in sunscreens break down to salicylic acid aka aspirin which is a known toxin for cats. As always, please consult with your veterinarian prior to using any human products or medications on your pet. Epi-Pet, Epi-Pet Sun Protector, $17.95. Buy it now!