The Ladies of SURFSET

Meet the dog-loving owners of this new & bodacious fitness program

By the Get Leashed Doggy Style team

Banner-2015-12-03-Surfset-7

We seem to be learning a lot about awesome new fitness programs here at Get Leashed these days. It must have something to do with the fact that pet owners are healthier people… hmm… go figure!

SURFSET molds the core stability necessary for surfing with the balance and flexibility taught in yoga. It’s a full-body exercise like none other and since we’re sort of at a lack for warm, saltwater waves in Toronto, it’s the best exercise for surfing enthusiasts between trips to the ocean. The program is catching on like wildfire and from what we hear, once you try it, there’s no going back to regular yoga.

We met two of the three owners and their respective dogs at the SURFSET studio for a fun day of photos (the third, Sofia, couldn’t join because she was in labor – congrats!). Lua and Alex are two awesome, down to earth ladies and we couldn’t imagine anyone we’d rather have as a fitness instructor – especially when trying something new. Plus, they’re dog lovers, so we know our readers will feel right at home!

If you’re looking for an exercise to keep your mind grounded and your body in tip-top shape, look no further than SURFSET. Visit their site for more info and class schedules!

Lou and Alex - Surfset - Get Leashed Mag

Please tell us about yourselves:

We both co-own and operate SURFSET Toronto, a boutique, surfing-inspired fitness studio. The most rewarding part of the job is the connections we make with our clients, seeing their progress and putting smiles on their faces during a tough workout.

A bit about your pets:

Alexandra: Marley is my King Shepherd and Black Lab rescue. I got him when he was just 8 months old and he’s almost 2 years old now. He is the goofiest, happiest and friendliest pup. He loves to lounge around and cuddle but also has an exorbitant amount of energy. Playtime is always an adventure!

Lua: I’ve had Zoë, my pint-sized Chihuahua, for over 9 years; but don’t let her size fool you. She’s an energetic hiker like me, and we’ve scaled mountains, glaciers, and even raced up the Grouse Grind together!

Marley from Surfset - Get Leashed Mag

What does your ideal weekend look like?

Alexandra: It starts off with a morning SURFSET class followed by coffee and a playdate at Sherwood dog-park with Easton, the Golden-lab mix, Troy, the Doberman, and Juniper, the cockapoo!

Lua: Weekend or not, Zoë hops onto the bed around 7 am to get me up, though sometimes we’ll stay in bed and watch Netflix until 9 am. We’ll head out for an off-leash walk by the lakeshore or she’ll hop into my backpack for a bike ride to a favorite spot, like Jimmy’s, for a mug of their Spicy Hot Chocolate…mmm.

Describe your personal style:

Alexandra: Soft and comfortable athletic apparel 90% of the time, playing dress-up with very high heels the other 10%.

Lua: My clothes are comfy, my shoes are flat, and my home is a mix of antique meets modern.

IMG_4776

What inspires you?

Alexandra: Marley of course! “Be the person your dog thinks you are.”

Lua: A quote I’ve always loved is “Attachment to the lantern is not loving the light.” To me, it’s what’s inside that counts.

How would you describe the look and feel of your studio?

We wanted the SURFSET studio to be a comfortable place where you could leave your stresses at the door and just be your happiest self. Our skylights let in natural light; the raised cathedral ceiling, full-length mirrors and geometric wave wall art create a spacious and airy feel; and natural elements like the reclaimed and exposed wood accents and diffused essential oils give a sense of peacefulness. We maintain a 100% positive environment, the staff and clients are beyond friendly, and everyone is welcome.

Please share a story about your pet:

Alexandra: Marley eats bananas off the counter and leaves the peels for us to find when we get home. He barks at the door if he hears someone walking by when we’re home alone. He dives head-first into the snow. He cuddles with us one minute, and the next he’s walking on top of us to play-fight. He’s a total goofball and our family wouldn’t be complete without him.

Lua: Zoë uses other dogs like minions. My sister’s angelic boxer, Halo, was taught to knock over garbage bins so Zoë could root through for food. I took Zoë swimming in the lake, and Zoë used my sister’s pug Luka as a raft. She’s insanely bright. She barks on command when I say “attack” and she’ll “go to bed” when told. She is truly one of a kind!