Beware: These Treats Could Be A Big Hazard For Your Dog

The FDA Is Warning Pet Owners About Bone Treats

By Catalina Barrios

shutterstock_223328371

What you need to know for your pet’s safety


We always want what is best for our loved ones and to ensure they have everything they need. This also applies to our furry friends. We enjoy spending time with them, playing with them and of course spoiling them!

We give them toys, their favorite blanket and even their favorite treats. Unfortunately not all treats are good for your dog; some are even dangerous.

shutterstock_113188552

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration also known as the FDA, by giving bone treats to your dog you are risking their life. The last thing we want is our dogs to be in danger. The FDA has received 68 reports of dog illnesses related to these treats.


The FDA defines:

“Bone treats are real bones that have been processed, sometimes flavored, and packaged for dogs. Giving your dog a “bone treat” might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet.” FDA, 2017


Illnesses reported to the FDA by veterinarians and dog owners in dogs that have eaten bone treats include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Bleeding from the rectum
  • Choking
  • Cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils
  • Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage in the digestive tract)
  • Approximately 15 dogs reportedly died after eating a bone treat.

shutterstock_101768296

The FDA also received reports of product problems such as moldy and splintering bone treats.

“Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet”, said Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) at the FDA.

The FDA recommends these useful tips to keep your dog safe:

  1. Be careful with what you put in the garbage can. It is common for dogs to look for “treasure” in the trash can and you don’t want them to find bones disposed there.
  2. Chicken bones and other bones from the kitchen table can cause injury when chewed by pets. It is very important to keep platters out of the dog’s reach when you are cooking or eating.
  3. Talk with your veterinarian about the most appropriate toys or treats for your dog. They will recommend the best products for your dog to chew on.

shutterstock_557528140


Stamper recommends to supervise your dog when they are chewing a toy or treat especially if it is a new one, and if you feel after chewing your dog is not feeling right, call your veterinarian right away!

If you want to report a problem with a pet food or treat, visit the FDA’s page on How to Report a Pet Food Complaint”.

shutterstock_183585236

Share this article with fellow dog owners to keep their pets safe too.